Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Baby Bunny Rescue!



One of my brothers has his own Lawn Mowing Business. Well a few days ago he was mowing a lawn nearby and he hit a rabbit nest :( All of the sudden he saw little bunnies running all over the place!

     He stopped the mower and tried to catch them (he still needed to mow more in that yard and didn't want to hit them) he found one and brought it over to our house and we put it in a bucket and my sister and I watched over it until he came back.

When he came back he had another one! By this time they where both REALLY scared, but they calmed down once they were together.


I couldn't resist getting some pictures! 


They snuggled right up together and went to sleep! 






We were not sure that the mother would take them back 
(we had to catch them) 
and we have heard that if she can smell a human on them she 
won't have anything to do with them.
I did some research and found some things that said that normally that 
won't happen because there are people and other animals going through 
the nest area many times a day.

 I found a list that tells you how old they are by how long they are 
and what they can do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby’s naked or only thin fur or fluff 1-7 days
Baby’s ears are still closed 1-7 days
Baby’s eyes open at about 5-7 days
Baby’s ears stand erect 9-12 days
Baby has a complete hair coat 14 days
Baby’s show interest and begin nibbling on items about 12 -15 days
Babies become more active and begin leaving the nest to explore about 15-20 days
Baby 5-6 inches long at 17-22 days
Baby is nervous, jumpy, spooky, respond to sudden noises, ears erect = 21 days
---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were about 4 inches long, and they can run and jump
I figured they were about 
15-20 days old



After he was done mowing he came back over and got the bunnies 
and we took them back to the nest. While we were there we found the last bunny 
in the bushes and were able to get all three back into the nest!
When we were in the yard the mother rabbit came back
 (she didn't come to the nest because we were at it)
So we think she is still caring for them! 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, this is post #70!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Wholesome Joy~

Linking Up On.

36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! It was so fun (part of the time I held them in a little clean rag in my hands and you could feel the warmth coming from them! <3

      Delete
  2. That is so neat! We've had bunnies living in our backyard before, I'm glad they are being taken care of!

    www.diaryofastayathomewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have also had them in our yard, but.........with so many kids around they didn't normally make it :( It was nice that these are in the neighbors yard! Thanks for the great comment! <3

      Delete
  3. Awww...they're so cute!!! :-D
    ~Katie@liliesofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was hard to put them back (I wanted to keep them!)

      Delete
  4. Great photographs with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Great photos! How adorable. Thank you for doing this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so adorable! Your photos made my day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful story and I do hope the mother would take care of her little family. I love the sweet photos too. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made me smile. Love the photos. Made me grin. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! Thanks for the great comment! <3

      Delete
  9. We once took a baby chipmunk to an animal rescue center. Oh, and baby birds to an avian rescue, too, now that I think about it. It's so precious to be able to spend some time up close with creatures you don't get to interact with often. :) Sweet sweet bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww....How small was it? I LOVE baby animals! It was so fun to be able to hold them! <3

      Delete
  10. So precious! I love bunnies. Thx for linking this up at the Thoughtful Spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for hosting the linkup! <3

      Delete
  11. oh, how sweet. At least they had each other!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those would make some cute photo props with little ones for Easter! :)
    Sarah
    www.sarahefrazer.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awe so cute. I hope they survice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  14. SO sweet....I'd have a hard time putting them back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was kind of hard! Although the thought that they would probable die if we kept them made me want to put them back! :D <3

      Delete
  15. Too much cute. :D

    It was real sweet of you and your brother, taking such good care of them. Not many people would take the time. You did the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, how precious! I am so glad they were okay and all ended well. Thanks for sharing their sweetness with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! I think that the next generation is back in the old nest this year! Yay! :D Thanks for coming by! <3

      Delete
  17. I love this post!! It reminds me of raising baby bunnies after a mowing over their nest when I was young! These are such darling pictures :D The mommy bunny didn't return to the nest, so we actually bottle fed the little ones until they were old enough to release! I researched and did an experiment, placing a piece of yarn across the nest to see if the mom returned -- she rearranges the nest when she returns, but our string remained in place upon multiple times checking back. I'm so glad the mommy returned, that really is the best route!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That is really cool! Thanks for sharing it with me! :D <3

      Delete
  18. Oh how sweet! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure were! :) Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete

Hi Everyone! I am so glad your commenting today! I allow anonymous comments if you leave a name in the comment. Also any comments with profanity or anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted. Thanks so much for commenting!

~Wholesome Joy~